September daytime temperatures still pack plenty of warmth, but the cool evenings remind you that winter is on the way. To ensure your family’s winter comfort, here are some things you should do to get your Chambersburg, PA, home ready for cooler temps.
A fall tune-up prepares your heater to tackle a cold Pennsylvania winter. In addition to checking your blower motor, oiling components, and cleaning your heat exchanger, our heating maintenance service includes the following:
- Replacing your HVAC filter: A clean filter ensures that dust and debris won’t build up on or damage your heating equipment. HVAC filters also trap airborne contaminants, which results in healthier indoor air.
- Inspecting your ductwork: Holes in your ductwork, even pinhole-sized leaks, waste energy and are incredibly costly because they leak heated air into unconditioned spaces.
- Checking your thermostat: Along with ensuring that your thermostat works properly, we’ll help you reprogram it for winter settings. Better yet, we can upgrade your thermostat to a more energy-efficient one.
Weatherizing Your Home
Weatherizing your home helps retain the toasty comfort your heater generates. Here are a few tips:
- Seal air leaks: About 30% of air infiltration comes through doors and windows. Reduce drafts and increase comfort by weather-stripping and caulking.
- Insulate: Ensure that your attic, crawlspace, and walls have insulation and that the insulation isn’t wet, crumpled, or damaged.
- Control moisture: Controlling moisture prevents cold air from seeping in and reduces bacteria and mold growth. Inspect or install exhaust vents and fans, storm windows and doors, and seal cracks around pipes, hatches and recessed lighting that allow moisture to migrate into your attic.
A pre-season check-up eliminates worries about your heating system. To get your home ready for cooler temperatures, check out our heating maintenance services, or call Leckron’s Comfort Solutions and talk with one of our expert technicians.